An advanced understanding of the place of language, language development and linguistics in educational settings by a consideration of the nature, structure, function and purpose, and role of language in learning. There will be a consideration of the development of literacy and learning across the curriculum.
This course will enhance your understanding of the English language to help you teach English language learners to improve and extend their written and spoken language use. You will learn how language is constructed at the different levels of sound, word and text. At the end of the course you will be equipped to analyse students' language and identify gaps and priorities in terms of language development.
Currently scheduled classes
2021 Epsom (Summer School): Compulsory on campus block teaching on Wednesdays 6th, 13th and 20th January, Thursdays 7th, 14th and 21st January, Fridays 8th, 15th and 22nd January from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 to 3:00 pm.
Take this course
This course can be taken as a taught course in the following programmes:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Theory
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) (Honours)
- Master of Counselling
- Certificate of Proficiency
- Master of Education
- Master of Professional Studies in Education
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching English in Schools to Speakers of Other Languages
- Master of Education Practice
- Master of Educational Leadership
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching Linguistically Diverse Learners
Ministry of Education course subsidies
Primary and Intermediate teachers may be eligible for a Ministry of Education fees subsidy for this course. Click here for more information.